Coffee Cake Muffins
Recipe Type: Baked Goods
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn, plus more for the muffin tin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour ( I use at least one cup of whole wheat)
- 1/4 cup sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts, pecans, or cashews
- 2 extra tablespoons melted butter
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin and line it with paper or foil muffin cups if you like.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Beat together the egg, milk, and melted butter or oil in another bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into it.
- Using a large spoon or rubber spatula, combine the ingredients swiftly, stirring and folding rather than beating and stopping as soon as all the dry ingredients are moistened.
- The batter should be lumpy, not smooth, and thick but quite moist; add a little more milk or other liquid if necessary.
- Mix half of topping mixture into batter.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins, filling them about two-thirds full and handling the batter as little as possible.
- Top with remaining topping mix.
- Bake for about 20 minutes
Check out Dallas at Starbucks, intent on eating every crumb of his coffee cake.